USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Widespread Rain, But Unfavorably Dry In Spain
-Widespread rain boosts soil moisture for winter wheat and rapeseed from England and Germany into Poland and the Balkans.
- Dry conditions in Spain maintain high irrigation requirements for early winter wheat planting.
NORTHWESTERN AFRICA: Eastern Showers Provide Early Moisture
- Showers in eastern Algeria and northern Tunisia condition fields for winter grain planting.
MIDDLE EAST: Strong Storms In Turkey
- Showers and thunderstorms, some severe, boost moisture for winter wheat establishment in Turkey.
FSU: Western Wetness Contrasts With Warm, Dry Weather In The East
- Widespread, locally heavy showers in Belarus, Ukraine, and western Russia improve soil moisture for winter grain and oilseed planting and establishment.
- Dry, warm weather promotes the final stages of spring wheat harvesting in northern Kazakhstan and eastern Russia. Likewise, sunny skies favor cotton harvesting in southern crop districts.
SOUTH ASIA: A Surge Of Moisture Benefits Cotton
- A surge of monsoon rains in peninsular India bring beneficial moisture to reproductive cotton.
- Warm, dry weather in northwestern India increases irrigation demands for reproductive cotton but favors winter wheat and rapeseed planting.
EAST ASIA: Too Wet For Cotton
- Wet weather on the North China Plain hampers cotton harvesting but boosts moisture supplies for winter wheat planting.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Flooding Continues In Indochina
- Flooding persists for rice in Indochina.
- Tropical Storm Banyan causes flooding for rice in the central Philippines.
AUSTRALIA: Showers Benefit Crops
- Showers in southeastern and Western Australia continue to benefit winter crops.
- Soaking rains in eastern Australia slow winter wheat harvesting but increase moisture supplies for summer crops.
SOUTH AMERICA: Beneficial Rain Continues Throughout The Region
-Locally heavy showers further improve prospects for winter grains and summer crops in major production areas of central Argentina.
- In Brazil, seasonal rains increase moisture levels for germination and establishment of soybeans and other summer crops, while providing more uniform moisture for flowering coffee.
MEXICO: Late-Season Tropical Showers Cover Parts Of The South
- Locally heavy showers give a late-season boost to southern reservoirs.