USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Additional Rain Boosts Crop Prospects
- Persistent showers boost prospects for reproductive to filling winter crops in France, England and southern Germany. Soil moisture remains abundant for vegetative corn and sunflowers.
- Beneficial rain in Poland and the northern Balkans provides moisture for reproductive winter wheat and vegetative summer crops.
- Dry weather in Spain promotes winter grain maturation and harvesting.
MIDDLE EAST: Wet Spell Ends, Turkish Grains Benefit
- After persistent late-season rain, dry weather favors winter grain maturation in Turkey.
FSU: Locally Hot, But Rain Falls Elsewhere
- Heat stresses filling winter wheat in eastern Ukraine and southern and central Russia, where pockets of dryness persist.
- Widespread, locally heavy showers boost soil moisture for grains and oilseeds from Belarus and western Ukraine into northern Russia.
- Showers benefit vegetative spring wheat in Kazakhstan and eastern Russia.
SOUTH ASIA: The Monsoon Progresses Northward
- The Indian monsoon progresses slowly northward, bringing rainfall to central India and prompting planting of cotton, groundnuts, and soybeans.
EAST ASIA: Favorable Moisture For Summer Crops
- Hot, dry weather on the North China Plain favors drydown and harvesting of winter wheat but necessitates increased irrigation for flowering cotton.
- More rain benefits vegetative corn and soybeans across northeastern China.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Super Typhoon Guchol
- Super Typhoon Guchol, off the coast of the Philippines, brings heavy showers and minor flooding but boosts reservoir levels for rice irrigation.
AUSTRALIA: Generally Favorable Weather For Winter Crops
- In Western Australia, rain provides near ideal conditions for wheat, barley, and canola development.
- In southern and eastern Australia, scattered showers benefit vegetative winter grains and oilseeds locally, while pockets of drier weather enable additional winter crop planting.
SOUTH AMERICA: Warmer, Mostly Dry Weather Dominates Argentina And Brazil
- In Argentina, continuing dryness, accompanied by a warming trend, improves conditions for corn and soybean harvesting.
- Warmer, drier weather prevails across central Brazil, spurring development of winter wheat and corn and bringing some relief from excessive wetness to sugarcane and coffee.
- MEXICO: Hurricane Carlotta Grazes The Southern Pacific Coast
- Hurricane Carlotta generates timely, locally heavy showers in key summer corn areas.