USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Widespread Rain Continues To Boost Crop Prospects
- Locally heavy rain continues to favor reproductive winter crops in western and southern Europe but hampers corn and sunflower planting.
- Persistent dryness lowers soil moisture for small grains and oilseeds in Poland and northeastern Germany.
- Dry weather in Spain promotes winter grain maturation and harvesting.
NORTHWESTERN AFRICA: Sunny Weather Accelerates Wheat Harvesting
MIDDLE EAST: Additional Rain Benefits Turkish Grains
- Additional late-season rainfall benefits reproductive winter wheat and barley in Turkey.
- Warm, dry weather promotes winter crop maturation and harvesting across the eastern Mediterranean.
FSU: Much-Needed Rain Arrives In The South
- Much-needed rain improves winter crop prospects in southern portions of Ukraine and Russia.
- Warmth and dryness remain a concern for winter and spring wheat in Russia’s Volga District.
- Showers favor vegetative spring wheat in Kazakhstan and eastern Russia while boosting irrigation reserves in southern cotton areas.
SOUTH ASIA: Seasonable Hot, Dry Weather
- Seasonably hot weather continues, as growers await the onset of the monsoon before beginning summer crop planting.
EAST ASIA: Some Stress For Wheat; Favorable Moisture For Crops In Manchuria
- Periodic stressful heat affects filling winter wheat in China.
- Light showers maintain favorable soil moisture for corn and soybeans in Manchuria.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Monsoon Rains Aid Rice Establishment
- Monsoon rains continue to benefit rice in Indochina and the Philippines.
AUSTRALIA: Rain Arrives In Southeastern Australia
- Needed rain overspreads most of southern and eastern Australia, benefiting recently sown winter grains and oilseeds and helping condition topsoils for additional planting.
- In Western Australia, dry weather reduces topsoil moisture for germinating to emerging winter crops.
SOUTH AMERICA: Showers Benefit Brazil’s Second Corn Crop
- Unseasonably heavy rain maintains ample moisture for secondary (safrinha) corn in key production areas of central and southern Brazil.
- Drier conditions aid soybean and corn harvesting in sections of central Argentina.
MEXICO: Unfavorably Light Rainfall Continues
- More rain is needed throughout the southern plateau corn belt for crop development.
CANADA: Cool, Showery Weather Covers The Prairies
- Conditions are overall favorable for Prairie spring crops.
- Moisture remains limited for crops and pastures in Ontario.