USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Widespread Rain Eases Drought In Spain, Favors Northern Crops
- Additional, much-needed rain eases drought in Spain and improves soil moisture for reproductive wheat and barley. Heavy rain also alleviates short-term dryness and boosts irrigation reserves in Italy.
- Widespread showers favor vegetative winter crops in England, France, and Germany.
NORTHWESTERN AFRICA: Additional Rain Benefits Crops In Morocco
- Heavy rain benefits reproductive to filling winter grains in Morocco but is too late for maturing crops.
- Widespread showers in Algeria and Tunisia benefit reproductive winter wheat and barley.
MIDDLE EAST: Showers Favor Winter Grain Development
- Widespread showers slow cotton planting but favor winter crop growth from Turkey into western Iran.
FSU: Western Rain Contrasts With Eastern Warmth And Dryness
- Periods of rain across Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia slow fieldwork but boost soil moisture for winter wheat, barley, and rapeseed.
- Warm, dry weather favors field preparations for spring wheat planting in Kazakhstan and central Russia.
SOUTH ASIA: Increasing Pre-Monsoon Showers In The East
- Hot weather continues throughout most of India.
- Pre-monsoon showers increase moisture reserves in eastern India and Bangladesh, well in advance of the main growing season.
EAST ASIA: Beneficial Rain For Winter Wheat
- Widespread showers boost soil moisture for reproductive winter wheat on the North China Plain.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Local Rice Harvest Delays In Java, Indonesia
- Localized flooding cause minor delays for rice harvesting in western Java, Indonesia.
AUSTRALIA: Mostly Dry But Relatively Cool
- In southern Queensland and northern New South Wales, mostly dry weather favors summer crop harvesting, but cooler-than-normal weather slows crop maturation.
SOUTH AMERICA: Lingering Pockets Of Dryness In Brazil
- Pockets of dryness linger in sections of southern and central Brazil, reducing moisture for secondary (safrinha) corn.
- Warm, dry weather aids drydown and harvesting of corn and soybeans in large sections of central Argentina.
SOUTH AFRICA: Cool And Dry; Possible Frost Damage To Corn
- Cool, dry weather slows maturation of summer crops, with frost raising concerns for potential damage to immature corn.
MEXICO: Seasonal Showers Continue Across the North And East
- Rain increases moisture for corn and sugarcane in eastern production areas, as scattered showers boost moisture levels for winter grains and pastures in parts of the north.