USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Much-Needed Rain In The Balkans
- Much-needed rain in the Balkans provides soil moisture for winter crops, although deficits persist.
- Sunny skies early in the week promote wheat and rapeseed planting in northern portions of France and Germany, but heavy showers have returned.
- Persistent rainfall in northern Italy hampers summer crop maturation and harvesting.
MIDDLE EAST: Showers Arrive In Turkey
- Showers in western Turkey provide some soil moisture for winter wheat planting.
FSU: Showers Benefit Winter Wheat
- Showers from Ukraine into central and southern Russia provide much-needed soil moisture for winter crop planting and establishment.
- Showers hamper spring wheat harvesting in eastern Russia.
- Dry weather in southern portions of the region favors cotton harvesting.
SOUTH ASIA: Monsoon Rains Diminish In The West
- The Indian Monsoon wanes across much of the west as heavy showers continue to benefit late developing rice in the east.
EAST ASIA: Dry, Mild Weather
- Dry, mild weather aids drydown and maturation of summer crops across much of Manchuria and the North China Plain.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Tropical Cyclone Jelawat
- Tropical Cyclone Jelawat forms off the eastern coast of the Philippines and brings locally heavy showers in eastern Luzon, maintaining abundant moisture supplies for rice.
AUSTRALIA: Showers Return To Parts Of The Wheat Belt
- In Western Australia, widespread showers help stabilize yield prospects for winter grains and oilseeds.
- Warm, mostly dry weather increases evaporative losses in South Australia, while in eastern Australia scattered showers maintain local moisture supplies for reproductive wheat, barley, and canola.
SOUTH AMERICA: Seasonal Showers Beginning In Brazil
- Rain provides timely moisture for germination of soybeans in key production areas of central Brazil.
- Locally heavy rain maintains adequate to abundant moisture for Argentine winter grains.
MEXICO: Monsoon Showers Decline In The Northwest; Showers Continue In South
- Seasonably drier conditions prevail in northwestern watersheds, but conditions remain overall favorable for corn and other rain-fed summer crops farther south.
CANADA: Prairie Harvests Advance Rapidly
- Dry, occasionally cold weather spurs rapid harvesting of spring grains and oilseeds.
- In Ontario, showers provide additional moisture for winter wheat establishment.