USDA's Joint Ag Weather Facility has provided the following weekly weather/crop highlights:
EUROPE: Hot Weather Maintains Stress On Corn And Sunflowers
- Hot weather is maintaining stress on late-filling corn and sunflowers in France and the Balkans.
- Showers boost soil moisture for winter wheat and rapeseed in England, Germany, and Poland.
MIDDLE EAST: Seasonably Dry Weather Persists
- Dry weather promotes summer crop maturation and seasonal fieldwork.
FSU: Widespread Showers Favor Late-Filling Summer Crops
- Widespread rainfall from Belarus and northern Ukraine into Russia is improving prospects for late filling corn and sunflowers while boosting soil moisture for winter grain and oilseed planting.
- Showers slow spring wheat harvesting in northern Kazakhstan, while dry weather promotes spring wheat harvesting in eastern Russia and favors filling cotton in southern growing areas.
SOUTH ASIA: Drier For Groundnuts; More Rain For Rice
- Dry weather returns to groundnut areas of western India, further diminishing prospects.
- Rice continues to receive beneficial rainfall in eastern India.
EAST ASIA: Typhoons Tembin And Bolaven
- Typhoon Tembin brings flooding to southern Taiwan, while Super Typhoon Bolaven brings flooding rains to southwestern South Korea as it enters the Yellow Sea.
- Heavy showers on the North China Plain benefit filling corn and soybeans but are unfavorable for opening cotton bolls.
SOUTHEAST ASIA: Monsoon Rains Favor Rice In Thailand
- An increase in monsoon rains across northeastern Thailand improves moisture conditions for rice.
AUSTRALIA: Welcome Showers In The East; Rain Needed In The West
- In the west, generally light showers provide little additional topsoil moisture for vegetative winter crops.
- Widespread showers continue to benefit wheat, barley, and canola in southeastern Australia.
- In east-central Australia, showers offer a needed boost in topsoil moisture for jointing winter wheat.
SOUTH AMERICA: More Rain For Argentina; Dry In Brazil
- Heavy rain provides additional, abundant moisture for winter grain establishment in Argentina's eastern farming areas.
- In Brazil, warmth and dryness aid sugarcane and coffee harvesting while advancing winter wheat development.
MEXICO: Seasonal Rains Continue
- Showers maintain favorable conditions for corn and other rain-fed summer crops in the south. Heavy rain continues in Sinaloa, boosting irrigation reserves for winter-grown corn.
CANADA: Warmth And Dryness Advance Prairie Crops Toward Maturity
- Conditions are mostly favorable for maturing spring grains and oilseeds