, Farm Journal intern
Grand Island, Neb. -- Watch a slideshow of day one of the western leg.
As far as South Dakota is concerned, it was said today that overall the state should be happy as a hot hog in a cool puddle of mud. While the ProFarmer Midwest Crop Tour does make predictions about the crop, the tour isn't predicting yield for individual fields. As a whole, the South Dakota corn crop looks steady with last year and the beans are looking better than they did a year ago, says Chip Flory, director of the western leg of Crop Tour.
The average numbers for South Dakota's corn:
- Ear count is 82.74, which is down 1.5% from last year.
- Grain length is at 6.72, which is up 0.9% from last year.
- Kernels around is at 15.45, which is down 4.2% from last year.
- Estimated yield is 146.96, which is down 0.4% from last year.
The average numbers for South Dakota's soybeans:
- Pod count in 3' row is 692.1, which is up 25.5% from last year.
- Pod count in 3' by 3' square is 981.68, which is up 14% from last year.
- Growth stage is 4.3.
- Soil moisture rating is 4.56.
Stay posted for day two of the western leg.
For More Information
You can e-mail Rachel Duff at email@example.com.