Which States Have the Most Irrigated Acres?

May 1, 2017 10:14 AM
AgriInject VRT

For anyone who’s driven through Nebraska farm country, it may come as no surprise that the Cornhusker State has the most irrigated acres in the U.S., accounting for 14.9% of the country’s irrigated acres. But did you know that five states hold more than half of the country’s irrigated acres?

Rounding out the top five are California (14.1%), Arkansas (8.6%), Texas (8.0%) and Idaho (6.0%).

According to data from USDA’s Economic Research Service, the top 13 states hold 78.8% of the nation’s irrigated acres, with the remaining 37 states accounting for the remaining 21.2%.

Irrigated acres

Caught up on the latest AgWeb irrigation news?

Back to news



Spell Check

No comments have been posted to this News Article

Corn College TV Education Series


Get nearly 8 hours of educational video with Farm Journal's top agronomists. Produced in the field and neatly organized by topic, from spring prep to post-harvest. Order now!


Market Data provided by QTInfo.com
Brought to you by Beyer