Published on: 16:11PM May 27, 2010
Today saw buying come back into the corn market as rumors that the Chinese are looking to pick up additional import licenses caused July corn to settle 7¼ cents higher at $3.71½. In addition to these rumors, the outside markets lent support for the whole session as crude oil traded $1.50 to $2.00 higher. The outside markets continue to whip around and are causing volatility to be a very common theme in our grain markets. Weather hasn't changed much; we are still looking at favorable growing conditions for most of the region through the weekend before a rain system looks to roll through early next week. If the weather stays good through pollination, we will likely see December futures trade under $3.50 and head even lower toward harvest. If the weather turns for the worst here in the U.S. and/or in China this growing season, we should see corn prices find a bottom in the coming months. Tomorrow morning we will have export sales numbers at 7:30 a.m. The average guesses for corn sales are 1,000,000 to 1,300,000 mt. We will release this number in our morning letter. I still think we are positioned well at this time. For those producers who still need to get caught up on the hedge recommendations that we have issued, please call your broker and discuss the available plan for your operation.
Based on support from the higher bean oil market and stronger corn market, the July soybean contract finished the day 7½ cents higher at $9.38. As a result of the sharply higher crude oil market, bean oil saw a sharp rally. This, coupled with a good performance in the corn market, kept beans from trading back toward the trendline we have been discussing in November beans ($9.03). Based on the fundamentals that we have right now, we feel that the bean market may be susceptible to a further break from these levels if the weather continues to hold. The record South American crop continues to come on line and global stocks this fall will be 45% larger than last year. We will still have to grow a crop here in the U.S., obviously, but if we do have trendline yields, we could see much lower prices this fall. A lot can change (and usually does!), but if you are not caught up on sales, I would look for a rally back toward $9.30 to $9.50 in November soybeans to do so. The export sales guesses are between 450,000 and 650,000 mt. Census crush is also coming out tomorrow, at 7 a.m. The numbers will be posted in our morning letter. For those producers who have their hedges in place, we would continue to stay hedged. For the producers that still need to protect new crop bean sales, please give your broker a call to discuss the available strategies that we have.
Get More from EHedger.
Our commentaries are just one part of our whole risk management service. Please go to http://www.ehedger.com/getmore.html for a free two-week trial of our full member website that gives you access to all our hedge and marketing recommendations, educational tools, market snapshots and much more.
Also learn about our acclaimed AMMO Program that helps producers optimize their marketing strategies using the premier tools and insights in the industry.
Get Organized. Get Ahead. Get EHedger
Trading commodity futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and may not be suitable for all investors. The market information contained in this message has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but is not guaranteed as to its accuracy or completeness. Market information may not be consistent with current or future market positions of EHedger, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees or agents. Recipients assume the risk of reliance on and indemnify and hold EHedger harmless for any and all losses, costs, or tax consequences incurred as a result of their use of market information.