The following commentary does not necessarily reflect the views of AgWeb or Farm Journal Media. The opinions expressed below are the author's own.
Bob Utterback has more than 26 years of experience and offers producers a disciplined approach to marketing.
Lose of n in corn could be the biggest deal for final yield. What could that number be?
Here is a way to think about it. Price is (or used to be) based on yield/stocks. The yield is based on weather. Weather is mostly random(nobody including Bob knows). Corn has a 70% chance of going lower into harvest but by a max of 30 cents. Corn has a 30% chance of going higher from 20-150 cents higher. Bias for a farmer usually is to sell since higher prices will be good even if he has sold some he pbly has more to sell. Easy to be on both sides.
i think half of you guys would rather be back in the days when the decision was do i sell for 2:00 or do i wait and hope for 2:25 lets face it yes its more stressful and the stakes are higher with the funds involved. but we surley have more opertunites to sell dont we??? some one told me once a stranger walked up to a farmer and gave him a million dollars. farmer looked in the bag looked up at the stranger walking away and said i wish he would have gave me two million. ithink we all have a little of that in us.