Bovance, the cloning technology and genetic preservation leader in the bovine industry, has introduced a scholarship essay contest. Eligible, industry youth who submit an essay on one of five topics will be judged based on innovation, writing quality and demonstration of thought-leadership for genetic advancements. The winning student will receive a $1,000 scholarship to pursue education in a cattle-related field of study.
The five topics from which students can choose to write about include:
1. How do you think cloning and genetic preservation benefit the livestock industry?
2. What animal would you choose to clone to lead a specific breed, and why?
3. How would you explain the benefits of cloning to a consumer questioning the technology?
4. How would you explain to a consumer that products from cloned animals are safe for human consumption?
5. (If you own your own animal) Which animal do you feel would be the best candidate to create value in your herd through the use of cloning technology?
Any high school senior and students in their first or second year of post-secondary education is eligible to enter. Each essay should be no more than 1,000 words, and must be submitted to Bovance no later than March 1st, 2011. Additional details on this scholarship program are available at www.bovance.com
“We are excited to introduce this new scholarship,” says Diane Broek, general manager of Bovance. “The youth represent the future leadership of cattle breeding, and we are excited to hear their thoughts and perspectives on how advancing technologies like cloning will fit within their vision of the industry.”
Bovance is a joint-venture between Trans Ova Genetics of Sioux Center, Iowa and ViaGen of Austin, Texas. Trans Ova Genetics helps cattle breeding clients effectively implement advanced reproductive technologies, including embryo transfer, in vitro fertilization, sexed semen, genetic preservation and cloning.
ViaGen adds value to the marketplace by cloning animals, licensing and selling proprietary animal genetics, and providing traits and technology for animal agriculture industries worldwide. Bovance provides bovine cloning services and genetic opportunities to cattle producers across North America as an exclusive product offering from Trans Ova Genetics.