What the College Crew Thinks You Need to Know
A bulletproof management system drills down to every detail during the growing season—including water; nutrients; soil and plant health; technology and data use; and growth stages.
- Take inventory of nitrogen throughout the season—how much has been applied, how much has been used by the crop and how much is in the soil.
- Split-applying nitrogen boosts efficiency by 10% because it’s being supplied when the plant needs it. The key to split-timing is to sidedress green corn.
- Pay attention to the Des Moines Water Works lawsuit targeting nitrate runoff from area farms. The outcome could dramatically impact how farms are regulated under the federal Clean Water Act.
- Managing tile drainage systems can help strike a balance between increasing yields, reducing nutrient runoff and protecting water quality.
- With tighter margins and technology and data at play, don’t overlook aerial and ground tools to help keep an eye on crop response and variability.
- It’s critical to know vegetative and reproductive soybean growth stages to know when the plant can handle stress. After R2, yield will take a hit in a drought or heat-stress situation.