If you want to know whether something worked, you simply need to do it and measure the results. That’s the spirit behind the Winfield Answer Plot Program, now in its 17th year. Almost 200 locations give farmers a look at how products and management practices work in all types of conditions.
A lot of Winfield’s Answer Plot research in 2014 focused on fungicide return on investment.
“Knowing how each hybrid will respond to treatment can help farmers decide when they will receive the greatest return potential on their fungicide spray investment,” says Kevin Eye, vice president of agronomy and product development.
Here are some insights Winfield gleaned from its Answer Plot trials:
- 91% of corn fungicide trials showed a positive ROI, with an average yield gain of 5.2 bu. per acre.
- 82% of soybean trials showed a positive yield response by adding a fungicide.
- 77% of sites with cold temperatures at planting had a 3 bu. yield advantage when including a 10-34-0 starter fertilizer plus the company’s Ultra-Che Zn 9% product.
- Up to 23% more sites had a positive response when tissue sampling showed manganese deficiencies.
- High-management spring wheat that includes seed treatments, fungicide applications, higher plant populations and increased nitrogen led to an average of 8.3 bu. per acre higher yields over traditional management practices.
For more information on the Winfield Answer Plot program, visit www.answerplot.com.