In 2017, U.S. consumers and businesses spent more than $1.6 trillion on food and beverages. The majority, 54%, was spent away from home at restaurants, school cafeterias, sports venues and other eating places. The remaining 46% went to grocery stores, supercenters, convenience stores and other retailers.
Historically, food-at-home spending accounted for most of the food and beverage costs. But in 2010, the scale tipped and the food-away-from-home share has stayed above 50% since.