An online petition posted to Change.org suggests the U.S. sell Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to eliminate the national debt.
“We have too much debt and Montana is useless,” reads the petition. “Just tell them it has beavers or something.”
The petition had nearly 11,000 signatures Wednesday morning, many from Montana. The petition, which is at least partially in jest, has offended many Montanans. In an editorial, The Great Falls Tribune asks:
- “No. 1: How dare you?”
- “Does Montana keep the nuclear missiles or what?”
- “What do Americans do about the other $20 trillion in national debt? $1 trillion would only cover a year's federal deficit (projected to be $985 billion in 2019).”
- “Does Canada have an extra trillion?"
- “Would Montana still be named Montana or would we be Southern Alberta? Better Saskatchewan?”
- “ Does the universal healthcare start right away or is there a waiting period?”
- “Do we build a wall against North Dakota? Or pile snow there in a Game of Thrones situation?”
One Canadian wrote: “Love you my American friends. Love you more because you aren't here. We have enough trouble with Trudeau's (our Prime Minister) socialism,” George Lyche wrote. “We don't need to import more from your whacko-democrats. Here's the new 'green deal' - we'll pay you to stay home!!”