Aug 21, 2014
Home| Tools| Events| Blogs| Discussions Sign UpLogin

15 Minutes with HSUS President Wayne Pacelle

January 24, 2011
By: Sara Brown, Farm Journal Livestock and Production Editor

Earlier this month, AgWeb editor Greg Vincent and I sat down with Wayne Pacelle, Humane Society of the U.S. president, at the Missouri capital. After a day of visiting with Missouri legislatures to keep Missouri’s puppy mill law in place, Pacelle said he and his staff also wanted to “challenge some of the false notions about the Humane Society of the United States,” he said.

Throughout the interview, Pacelle emphasized his organization’s desire to enter into discussions with U.S. farmers. “I think the agreement we hatched in Ohio was I thought a great example. We were heading toward a ballot initiative and then we all sat down together…and we crafted a solution that none of us felt entirely good about but that we all felt we could move forward with,” he says.

“Do you think the measures like in Ohio will work in every state? Is that something you are looking for from Missouri?” I asked.

“You know, I’ve stated publically before that we are not looking to do any ballot initiative in Missouri on farm animal welfare,” Pacelle said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because we just decided that we are not going to do it,” Pacelle said.

“Do you think Missouri farmers are better at producing their animals?” I asked.

“Well, I think what we want is a general principle, not just in Missouri, is we want to have more dialogue and more discussion, which is part of the reason I’m talking to you guys. We want to have this discussion with farmers,” he replied.

What are acceptable production practices? “I just visited one of our member’s farms in Nebraska that was a cattle ranch, 1,000 cattle, and I think they are doing a fabulous job. In fact we are forming a national farmers and ranchers council for the Humane Society of the United States,” Pacelle said.

“Can you describe some of the practices he was engaging in that would make this an ideal situation?” Vincent asked.

Previous 1 2 3 Next

See Comments

COMMENTS (9 Comments)

Mike Hannewald - Waterville, OH
The one thing that I think I somewhat agree with Wayne Pacelle on is the need for dialogue. However, I don't think there should be any need for dialogue with HSUS; rather, we as agriculturalists should initiate dialogue with consumers. If we can educate consumers (who are also voters, and some are members of HSUS), then HSUS will lose their credibility when it comes to agricultural issues because consumers will have confidence in the modern production methods that are used to produce a safe, abundant, and affordable food supply.
5:46 PM Jan 25th

JRthe original
Good job greg and sara for this interview. Talking with them just gives us the proper ammo. YOu also asked very good questions. Keep it up!
11:14 AM Jan 25th

charless - Wake Co, NC
What I saw in this interview is the avoidance, the excuses, and the lies by Mr. Pacelle. Research is needed and is based on science and certainly or any moral bases. The research helps us take better care of our animals to feeding. diet, illness, to what to plant in the pasture. If you look at testemony by HSUS given before Congress, at the end of the document you will find all "research" done by HSUS but not by valid scienced based researchers, more of a feel good research. The vegan animal rights social movement is truly a dangerous movement to the economy of the USA and to the people who own the animal that produce the food. We can not produce and sell a product unless we raise the animals with care, compassion about what we raise for the meat industry. People in large cities may not understand a farmers life. I have lived and worked in a large city and I am always appreciative our life on the farm. Of course some people see farmers as murders, destroyers of the earth, and farms as big jails, but to me it is heaven and a life like no other. I can say that after being out taking care of animals in 20 degree weather three nights last week. I like it when my ag man gives me suggestions because I know he is trying to help the environment and the animals and myself, but as for Mr. Pacelle, there is a different motive - no more animals for food!
10:38 PM Jan 24th

NE family farm - NE
Got to love it. Lets just let all the cattle hogs(all livestock)
loose and see what nature does with them. because I know nature wont care what pain is inflicted on an animal before it is killed. Just keep on making everything more expensive and make farmers and ranchers look worse and worse, such bull​
10:33 PM Jan 24th

Cowgirl
HSUS doesn't want dialog! They just want to distract you while they slip more laws through to put you out of business.
8:02 PM Jan 24th

dmull - Waldo, WI
Why does the ag industry keep talking to ones who want to put us out of buisness? They say they are not the enemy(as long as we care for our animals the way they think we should).The one thing I don't understand is we cannot keep our animals inside yet, it is inhumane to let a cat or dog outside in the winter or the summer.I think it is inhumane to bring these animals inside because God did not create them that way that is why they have fur!
7:36 PM Jan 24th

ridethethunder - Richfield, UT
HSUS is all about MONEY! Donations, donations, donations. If they were so concerned about the 'poor' puppydogs and kittycats why do they euthanize huge numbers everday? HSUS were mainly behind the closing of the processing plants for killer horses. (BTW Obama hand carried the legislation to close down the Illinois processing plant when he was a state senator.)
The anti slaughter act alone has crippled the horse market with the trickle down effect putting Ma and Pa family auctions out of business. Horses have become a liability NOT and asset. Trailer sales, tack shops, vet clinics and all those associated with the horse market have suffered immensely.
Wayne, take your Ivy League suit, silk tie, tassled leather shoes and march back to your office. For you to make us believe you want any type of dialogue with US farmers, ranchers, and livestock breeders is laughable. Pick up your phone...PETA is on the other line.
6:06 PM Jan 24th

cow land - SHERBURNE, NY
action speaks louder than words, all you have to do is see what they do. more propaganda from hsus​
5:11 PM Jan 24th

ralcrs
Why do you even bother to give this zealot a voice in this paper. His group is a large supporter of peta whose goal is to get everyone to become a vegetarian and to not allow anyone to own animals.
3:13 PM Jan 24th

Name:

Comments:

Receive the latest news, information and commentary customized for you. Sign up to receive the AgWeb Daily eNewsletter today!.

Enter Zip Code below to view live local results:
bayer

The Home Page of Agriculture
© 2014 Farm Journal, Inc. All Rights Reserved|Web site design and development by AmericanEagle.com|Site Map|Privacy Policy|Terms & Conditions