AgWeb Crop Comments
Select Crop Category
|Here's a sampling of what some folks are saying:
- 12/14/2018 Morgan County, OH: Finished picking corn December 12 has been a trying year from wet planning to wet harvest just glad it's done.
- 12/14/2018 Hendricks County, IN: FINALLY!!! 2018 harvest is over. Finished Thursday morning shelling corn thru ice with water just beneath. There are still some corn and soybeans in the field in our area. I feel bad for the guys that still have crops in the field. It has rained all day today (Friday). Yields were the best we have ever had. Corn 8% over last year and soybeans 16% over last year. We thank the LORD for giving the increase and keeping us safe. We can plant and harvest but we can't make a single grain grow without HIS water and sunshine. I know this is over used but JESUS is the reason for this Christmas season. HE deserves all the praise and glory. Have a very Merry Christmas and a great 2019.
- 12/13/2018 Miami County, IN: Finally back into some beans today. Wrapped up a farm. Still have some more to cut. Raining again. Ugh!
- 12/10/2018 Crittenden County, KY: Finally finished harvest 2018 last Friday. It was a challenging year, wet, cold spring and hot dry summer. Average at best crops. Several fields of soybeans still out here and there. Here's hoping for a better 2019.
- 12/6/2018 Cayuga County, NY: Vomitoxin becoming a huge problem in the north east and the eastern corn belt and Canada so how does that affect the so-called record corn crop yield if loads are being destroyed which is what my crop insurance agent has told me!!!!
- 12/5/2018 Floyd County, IA: Very little crops still in field as far as I have seen in the last couple days. With the pending snow storm that was supposed to happen last weekend farmers hit it pretty hard. We lucked out here and had mostly rain that changed to very little snow. Got my seed ordered for next year, if the banker allows another year. Seed salesman said he has never had so many customers that are quitting or retiring. He has no control over the out of line imputs but he wished he could wave his magic wand and help everyone out here.
- 12/4/2018 Ottawa County, OH: Farmers here are waiting for a freeze up so!! wet, lots of corn in field yet. Some soybeans left. Last beans cut were above 20% moisture. Looks like we will get going again end of this week. Glad to see trade issues making progress!
- 12/2/2018 Dickinson County, KS: We had near record yields but had a fight getting it between rain and snow storms but its done now , the large farms are taking it in the rear thou many have several hundred acres of beans and milo to harvest doubt they'll get that done til spring now unless the snow melts and ground freezes solid
- 11/28/2018 Jasper County, IN: harvest is basically over except for a few places, fields are wet/muddy, prices are in the tank, yields are down and the banker says, "I don't know yet" for 2019??
- 11/28/2018 Rockcastle County, KY: This has been the worst year ever. None compares. I still like close to 200 acres of soybeans and there are fields standing everywhere in this area still to do. Everyone is very behind. The weather will not cooperate. If you see a good forecast it quickly changes and if it rains it is cloudy for a day or two after the rain and you’re lucky to get 1 day of harvest. Major soybean quality issues. I will never be so glad to see a year gone as I will 2018.
- 11/27/2018 Hughes County, SD: I can finally see the end. Bean yields ok avg about 65 corn was hit and miss from 100 up to 280. Just down to the last 200 acres and its sunflowers so I don't mind the cold turn for a couple days to finish up.
- 11/27/2018 Hendricks County, IN: We are calling this the harvest that will not end. Got down to 24 degrees this morning so got up and checked the fields to see if it was froze enough to hold us up but it wasn't. Supposed to get colder tonight so will try again in the morning. 85 acres of corn left. Wouldn't take long but can't get the weather to cooperate. Still several fields of soybeans and corn left to harvest in our area. If I had to guess I would say that 10% still in the field. Rain predicted for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Grateful for the yields and moisture level of the corn but I am past ready to be done.
- 11/27/2018 Lyon County, MN: In a wet year like this every one wants combine tracks at 60,000$. Why not put in 20,000 dollars of Tile and ditching instead, much better pay back. Better for the soil and other crop investments.
- 11/27/2018 Livingston County, MO: Soybeans 35.7 bpa on hill ground, no-tilled 15" rows @ 155k seeds/a 23-Jun-18, near the end of extreme drought/ applied Liberty w KAc 31-Jul-18/ harvested 17-Nov-18. Avg ht ~30" with mostly 2 small seeds/ pod. Reasonable considering the drought and delayed planting.
- 11/26/2018 Dickey County, ND: There are still corn and beans in the field here. Darn corn today. I feel we need a set-aside program on soybeans . China can't steal what we don't produce. As for the 1.65 payment, if you didn't produce it or harvest it how did you earn it. Basis here is crazy wide right now and has been all fall especially for soybeans. Corn yields not even close to 2017 levels.
- 11/26/2018 Glacier County, MT: we started in sept. with fair wheat yields, about 50 bushels. After 4 days of cutting the weather went south. Our last 75% were frozen and wet with the falling numbers falling out of sight. won't make much with milling quality. I lost about $100 on every bushel I harvested with the lower basis and discounts that insurance doesn't cover. Why are you people with grain left in the field trying to harvest it? let the deer have it and help your neighbors out. I also think the usda is full of malarky.
- 11/22/2018 Martin County, MN: Harvest in southern Minnesota is done, yield was down 30 to 50 bushels per acre on corn and 5 to 10 on beams. Been reading crop reports from all Midwest states seems all areas are down question is how does USDA get record yields from this years crop. One positive with short crop local basis will tighten up as livestock feeders are short corn . The soil profile is full of water in our area dryer is best so hope next spring is warm and dry . Hope everyone has a good holiday season.
- 11/21/2018 Barry County, MI: Worst fall ever. Been wet and cold for weeks. Can't buy any sunshine to dry the beans out to harvest them. Best bean crop we've ever had but can't get them out of the field. Very frustrating. Everytime the weather forecast offers hope, it changes the next day. Hope we never have another fall like this.
- 11/20/2018 Chisago County, MN: As with everyone else, it’s been a long tough harvest. Some in the area are wrapping up corn harvest but a lot of acres still standing. Soybean yields were about average but the corn yields are great. Have 300 acres to go for ourselves. Happy Thanksgiving!
- 11/19/2018 Sanilac County, MI: Beet harvest is just about done. Harvested in snow all week. Should finish today. 3” overnight snow. Still lots of beans and corn in the field. Beans wet and corn has high Vom levels. Been a long harvest.
- 11/19/2018 Adams County, WI: Our local coop built a huge bunker in anticipation of a huge corn crop . I asked them why they haven’t started to fill it yet & they told me that they don’t need it , no corn to fill it . That is a good sign that the USDA will have to lower its yields. My own yields were off by 30 bushels from last year . In Wisconsin here we still have farmers with beans to do and some corn to do .
Use the form on this page or e-mail CropComments@agweb.com
to send in your farm report to AgWeb’s Crop Comments.
Be sure to send us your photos and videos! Comments will be edited for brevity and clarity. (Please keep your comments crop-related.)