Mexico on Monday announced a new decree, effectively banning imports of GMO corn. Following the declaration, Mexico quickly softened it’s stance when the Biden administration turned up the heat.
The announcement comes as U.S. government officials have been conversing with Mexico following Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador declared the ban will be tabled until 2025.
Mexico’s Gamelan
Mexico plans to phase-out GMO corn for animals and manufactured products, according to a statement made by the economy ministry on Monday. Most U.S. corn exports to Mexico are used for livestock feed.
Mexico will continue to hold its ground on GMO corn for food consumption, as well as glyphosate.
Related articles: Mexico Says U.S. GMO Corn Will be Imported if it Passes a Test
The new decree “does not represent any impact on trade or imports, among other reasons because Mexico is greatly self-sufficient in the production of white corn free from transgenics,” Mexico’s economy ministry said.
Mexico health authority, COFEPRIS, however, may grant authorizations for GMO corn to be used as animal feed or industrial use for human food until a substitute is achieved.
Industry Claps Back
Tom Haag, National Corn Growers Association president, clapped back at U.S. officials for not setting up more roadblocks for Mexico.
Related articles: Biden Officials Pressed on Mexico Corn Trade Issue at Farm Bill Hearing
“Singling out corn – our number one ag export to Mexico – and hastening an import ban on numerous food-grade uses makes USMCA a dead letter unless it’s enforced,” says Haag in the press release. “The Biden administration has been more than patient with Mexico as U.S. officials have sought to enforce a rules-based trading system and stand up for American farmers.”
The U.S. has previously asked Mexico to clarify its position on GMO corn and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) says it is reviewing the decree, and that it does not meet the U.S.'s request for an explanation of their plans by Feb. 14.


