BREAKING: CNH Halts Farm Equipment Shipments From North America, Europe To Assess Tariff Situation

The parent company of Case IH, New Holland, Steyr and other machinery brands says there will be no impacts to production and parts shipments will continue as planned.

CNH-Paused-Shipping-North-America-and-Europe.jpg
Breaking News
(MGN Image)

In North America, we are stopping shipments from North America plants and European imports effective today. This is a temporary move until we assess the full impact of planned tariffs on pricing. There are no impacts to production and parts shipments continue as planned. We will continue to monitor the situation.CNH Industrial has confirmed online reports it will temporarily pause farm equipment shipments from North American factories as well as from its European counterparts, effective immediately.

Here is CNH Industrial’s statement in full:

“In North America, we are stopping shipments from North America plants and European imports effective today. This is a temporary move until we assess the full impact of planned tariffs on pricing. There are no impacts to production and parts shipments continue as planned. We will continue to monitor the situation.”
CNH Industrial official statement

Quick Analysis

It’s a stunning move the international equipment giant is directly linking to the ongoing global tariff situation. President Donald Trump’s wide-reaching tariff strategy is set to go in motion April 2 (pending any last-minute shifts) and is projected to have sweeping implications for agriculture businesses and economies around the globe.

In addition, this development might represent yet another warning sign the global ag economy is entering a period of recession.

If this feels like a complete surprise to many in the equipment industry that’s because it likely is.

CNH’s latest earnings report call, on Feb. 4, did not contain any mention of the possibility the company would halt shipments. In that call CEO Gerrit Marx did note a 34% reduction in production had already been set in motion in Q4 2024. He attributed the move as a strategy to help lower dealer inventories by over $700 million.

Marx also shared the company is always actively monitoring the tariff situation, a development Case IH head of North America Kurt Coffey previously disclosed to Farm Journal during the National Farm Machinery Show in mid-February, but Marx also mentioned on the Feb. 4 earnings call that at the time it was “too early” to fully assess (tariff) impacts.

Our 2025 update to “Who Makes What Where” showed Case IH builds 66% of its row-crop machines throughout North America, while 24% of them are manufactured in Europe.

New Holland itself maintains a fairly balanced manufacturing presence between the two continents, with Europe (30%) and North America (43%) hosting its largest manufacturing footprints.

Your Next Read: Farmers Who Stand Strong With Trump on Tariffs Say Long-Term Gain is Worth Short-Term Pain

AgWeb-Logo crop
Related Stories
Jon Scheve with Scheve Grain says the grain markets are looking for bullish news and without China purchases soon have the grain markets put highs in?
The company commits to a seven-year ban on restrictive provisions to foster competition in the corn and soybean markets. The settlement highlights a deepening partnership between federal antitrust regulators and agricultural authorities.

Mark Schultz with Northstar Commodity says the market was skeptical about the lack of specifics in the framework before China denied the purchase amounts.
Read Next
Get News Daily
Get Market Alerts
Get News & Markets App